Professor Lott has research interests in interpersonal discrimination, multicultural issues, gender issues, social learning, feminist psychology, poverty, and social class. Her work in these areas was honored at the 2005 National Multicultural Conference & Summit. She is a past president of APA's Division 35 (Society for the Psychology of Women),and was a member of the APA Council of Representatives for six years (for Division 9, the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues).
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Gender Psychology
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Lott, B. (1993). Women's lives: Themes and variations in gender learning (2nd ed.). Brooks/Cole.
- Lott, B. (2010). Multiculturalism and diversity: A social psychological perspective. UK: Wiley.
- Lott, B., & Bullock, H. E. (2007). Psychology and economic injustice: Personal, professional, and political intersections. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Lott, B., & Maluso, D. (Eds.). (1995). The social psychology of interpersonal discrimination. New York: Guilford Publications.
- Lott, B., & Reilly, M. E. (Eds.). (1995). Combating sexual harassment in higher education. Washington, DC: National Education Association.
- Vasquez, M. J. T., Lott, B. et al. (2006). Personal reflections: Barriers and strategies in increasing diversity in psychology. American Psychologist, 61, 157-172.
- Lott, B., & Webster, K. (2006). Carry the banner where it can be seen: Small wins for social justice. Social Justice Research, 19, 123-134.
- Lott, B. (2002). Cognitive and behavioral distancing from the poor. American Psychologist, 57, 100-110.
- Lott, B. (1997). The personal and social correlates of a gender difference ideology. Journal of Social Issues, 53(2), 279-298.
- Lott, B. (1996). Politics or science? The question of gender sameness/difference. American Psychologist, 51, 155-156.
- Lott, B., & Maluso, D. (2001). Gender development: Social learning. In J. Worell (Ed.), Encyclopedia of gender (pp. 537-549). San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Lott, B., & Rocchio, L. M. (1998). Standing up, talking back, and taking charge. Strategies and outcomes in collective action against sexual harassment. In L. H. Collins, K. Quina, & J. C. Chrisler (Eds.), Career strategies for women in academe: Arming Athena (pp. 249-271). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Lott, B. (2006). The social psychology of punishing dissent since 9/11: Negative reactions to anti-war views in the U.S. In P. R. Kimmel & C. E. Stout (Eds.), Collateral damage: The psychological consequences of America's war on terrorism. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Lott, B., & Bullock, H. E. (Eds.). (2001). Listening to the voices of poor women. Journal of Social Issues, 57(2).
- Rogers, M. H., & Lott, B. (2005). Helping non-mainstream families achieve equity in the public schools within the context of school-based counseling. Special issue. Journal of Educational and Psychological Consultation, 16(1&2).
Department of Psychology
University of Rhode Island
Kingston, RI 02881
- Phone: (401) 789-7003
- Fax: (401) 874-2157